February 16, 2018

Looking Back - Not Under Forty


Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.

Not Under Forty by Willa Cather
Nonfiction
1988 University of Nebraska Press (first published 1936)
Finished in August 1997
Rating: 2/5 (Fair)

Publisher's Blurb:

For Willa Cather, "the world broke in two in 1922 or thereabouts." The whole legacy of Western civilization stood on the far side of World War I, and in the spiritually impoverished present she looked back to that. To that she directed readers of these essays, declaring that anyone under forty years old would not be interested in them. But she was wrong: since its first publication in 1936, Not Under Forty has appealed to readers of all ages who share Cather's concern for excellence, for what endures, in literature and in life.

My Original Notes (1997):

Fair. Essays regarding Cather's impressions on good literature. None of the essays grabbed my attention. One, I couldn't even finish reading.

My Current Thoughts:

No recollection of this book or the essays. I wonder if I would have a great appreciation for it now that I'm over 40. :)

2 comments:

  1. Haha, maybe you'll prove her point :) I've never heard of this book and I wouldn't mind checking it out but I admit I probably wouldn't rush out to read it and rather check out more of her novels first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I think her novels are more entertaining.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!