March 19, 2018

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?





Well, I managed to finish two books this week. I loved both of them and will eventually get reviews posted, but for now just know that they are both winners. This Is How It Always Is will wind up on my Top Ten list for the year and The Soul of the Octopus is sure to make the Honorable Mention list. 



After I finished Frankel's outstanding novel, I picked up On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan. It's a slim book and one that I've been meaning to read for several years. When I discovered that the movie is due out later this year, I decided it was time to read the novel. I began very late last night and was immediately pulled into the story. I do so love McEwan's writing!


I'm still enjoying The Great Alone (on audio), but only listened for a little bit this past week while I was out running errands. I'm really hoping that once the weather improves, I'll get outside for longer walks so I can fit in more listening time. I miss listening to books on a regular basis and this one is really holding my interest.

What about you? Are you reading anything wonderful?

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? (#IMWAYR) is hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. It’s a place to meet up and share what you have been, are, and about to be reading over the week. It’s a great post to organize yourself. It’s an opportunity to visit and comment, and er… add to that ever-growing TBR pile! This meme started with J Kaye’s Blog and then was taken up by Sheila from Book Journey. Sheila then passed it on to Kathryn at Book Date.

Last Week's Posts: 


Wordless Wednesday - Yaquina Bay Bridge

Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi

Looking Back - Bird by Bird

14 comments:

  1. I've not read anything by Ian McEwan I don't think. However, I'll watch for your thoughts on this book. I've been trying to finish To the Bright Edge of the World by Eowyn Ivey for a book group tomorrow. Think I'll make it. You might like that one. Telling of an expedition to Alaska by soldiers and also about the leader's wife left in the Portland area while her husband is gone. Uses diaries and letters and pictures. A slow reading book, but I really am enjoying it. More soon after I finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I really loved Atonement, but On Chesil Beach was a dud. Thankfully, it was a short dud. :) Thanks for the recommendation for To the Bright Edge of the World. It might be a good one for my book group!

      Delete
  2. I loved Frankel's book too. I've yet to try any of Hannah's work but my sister loves her books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, Frankel's book was so wonderful. I'm still thinking about Poppy! I haven't read a lot of Hannah's books, but I loved The Nightingale and am enjoying this new one.

      Delete
  3. Sharon6:49 AM

    My reading time disappeared last week! Still reading The Girls in the Picture by Melanie Benjamin. I have 50 pages left so fingers crossed. I am enjoying it but it is a tad too long and not as good as The Aviator's Wife which is still my favorite of her books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, it's funny how we read a lot one week and then barely any at all the next. And the hours fly by so quickly these days. I'm lucky if I get 1-2 hours of reading time in each day. I enjoyed The Aviator's Wife (on audio) quite well. You can read my review for it here, if you like.

      Delete
  4. I usually listen to audiobooks when I go on walks as well. The Great Alone keeps catching my eye, maybe I'll give it a try after my TBR gets a little smaller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, The Great Alone is proving to be a very good audiobook. I love Hannah's previous book (The Nightingale) and am glad this one is calling to me. Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Always nice to see a new face here. :)

      Delete
  5. How did I miss hearing about On Chesil Beach, the movie?? I've held on to my paperback copy for years... think it's finally time for a reread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, it will be interesting to see how they handle some of the scenes in On Chesil Beach, don't you think? I wish I had enjoyed the book better, but so far the only book of McEwan's that I really loved is Atonement.

      Delete
  6. I'm in the minority of really disliking McEwan, but hope you love the book. I really need to read the Frankel book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candace, you're not really in the minority as far as I'm concerned. On Chesil Beach was very disappointing and the only book of McEwan's that I've really loved is Atonement. I've read several others and they have all been duds (although I liked parts of Saturday). Yes, the Frankel book is very good, very timely and very important. I loved it!

      Delete
  7. I didn't realize On Chesil Beach was coming to the big screen soon. I should pull out my copy and read it too. Not that we go to the movies that often! Can't wait to read your reviews - I'm really curious about the Frankel book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I'm hoping that On Chesil Beach is a better film than book. I was deeply disappointed after getting further into to the writing. Definitely not as good as Atonement! Ah, the Frankel book though was outstanding! I loved it and can't wait to read more by this new-to-me author. This Is How It Always Is will most certainly be on my 2018 Top Ten list. Such a great book and an important one, as well.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!