June 17, 2019

A Trick of the LIght



A Trick of the Light by Louise Penny
Chief Inspector Armand Gamache #7
Mystery
2011 Minotaur Books
Finished on June 15, 2019
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

"Hearts are broken," Lillian Dyson carefully underlined in a book. "Sweet relationships are dead."

But now Lillian herself is dead. Found among the bleeding hearts and lilacs of Clara Morrow's garden in Three Pines, shattering the celebrations of Clara's solo show at the famed Musee in Montreal. Chief Inspector Gamache, the head of homicide at the Surete du Quebec, is called to the tiny Quebec village and there he finds the art world gathered, and with it a world of shading and nuance, a world of shadow and light. Where nothing is as it seems. Behind every smile there lurks a sneers. Inside every sweet relationship there hides a broken heart. And even when facts are slowly exposed, it is no longer clear to Gamache and his team if what they've found is the truth, or simply a trick of the light.

Another very good mystery by Louise Penny. I may have liked it a little better had I not just finished Bury Your Dead, which was outstanding. This one wasn't as suspenseful, but Penny's dry wit, particularly with Ruth Zardo's character, was top-notch in this installment. I laughed out loud several times! This is a highly addictive series, and as tempted as I am to grab the next book, I'm going to take a short break so that the individual plots remain separate in my memory. 

10 comments:

  1. One of these days, I'll make the time to read one of her books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I love them. I had planned to take a short break, but wound up picking up #8 last night. :) I would definitely read them in order, but feel free to skip the first. It wasn't one of her best.

      Delete
  2. I may not be fond of her work, but I LOVE your header photo! It also looks like a 'trick of the light.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan, I wasn't fond of her work until #3. Just sayin' ;)

      Thank you for your nice words about the header. I love it, as well! Mountains and water are my thing.

      Delete
  3. I hope to catch up on my LP reads. I read 6 I think but out of order for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I may just read all of them this summer. Great entertainment!

      Delete
  4. Yes, I think some the Penny books suit me better than others, but I do like them all very much. Nan's right - your header photo is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I've only read the first seven, but they are all so unique that I can recall the main plot for each. That is a sign of a good writer. They aren't formulaic or cookie-cutter. With that said, I do like some better than others. And, I had thought I'd give the series a break and read something else, but decided to go on and read #8. Too hard to resisit! :) Thank you for you nice words about my header. Port Townsend is a favorite place of ours.

      Delete
  5. You give Louise Penny a strong recommendation. I'm not much of a mystery reader, but I may give her a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, before I read the third installment, I was not a fan. Now I can't put them down! My husband just finished the last one and loves them as much as I do!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!