August 11, 2019

Escondido and Santa Paula, CA

Wednesday, October 17, 2018
Escondido to Santa Paula, California
Ventura Ranch KOA
Distance: 190 miles
Duration: 1 night
Cost: $45 (normally $55, but the cable was out)
Weather: Sunny and 80s

After breakfast and goodbyes, we were back on the road heading north to Santa Paula. I've never driven an RV in L.A. and even driving a car there can cause a lot of stress. So, I did a lot of research trying to find the best possible route for this leg of the trip, getting advice from relatives, friends and bloggers who either live in the area or have traveled that freeway system. The consensus was to take I-15 to 210 to 5 to 126, which turned out to be just fine, with the exception of the interchange between 210 and 5, which is near Sylmar. The road was very bumpy and we probably should have taken the truck route since the ascent caused us to slow down and left me with nowhere to go to get out of the way of the merging semis. Traffic was heavy! Thankfully, that was the only stressful time of the whole day and to add to the enjoyment of the day, we had our final In-n-Out burger for this long road trip. So, L.A. wasn't a terrible experience after all.


Declan and his daddy, Tim. 
So hard to say goodbye!


Santa Paula, California

We arrived at our campground and got settled in without any trouble. We've only stayed in a couple of KOAs, preferring to camp at state parks or boondock on BLM property. Sadly, this rundown campground didn't change our minds to seek out more KOAs in the future. It wasn't terrible, but it certainly wasn't as nice as the KOA in Lynden, Washington or Garberville (Benbow), Calfornia. We had some shade, but no grass. (For future reference, the lower level loops have grass next to the sites.) The KOA offers electric/water hookups and provides a dump station near the front office. We needed a few blocks to get level and the walk to the showers/restrooms were quite a distance from our site. On the plus side, it was quiet and we enjoyed watching a dozen or so peacocks wandering around our loop. I'll take those over javelina any day!


Ventura Ranch KOA

One of a dozen.


No grass next to the campsites,
 but there was a large section the middle of the loop.

Overlooking the lower loop.


Final Thoughts: Nothing special, but sufficient for an overnight.

4 comments:

  1. You're a brave soul to drive an RV in that traffic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I would have been more nervous if we still had our travel trailer. The RV is pretty big, so I felt fairly safe driving it, especially with my husband in the co-pilot seat. :) He's very good about making sure my lanes are clear when it's time to merge, as well as keeping me informed of upcoming turns or off-ramps we need to take. I don't know if I'd be so brave driving it by myself!

      Delete
  2. I wish we were at sunny and 80s over here.. I feel like I'm about to melt here in Texas. Glad the L.A. traffic wasn't so bad for you. I can imagine that must have been stressful to plan and out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, the Texas heat is something I never got used to while living near Fort Worth. It wouldn't be so awful if it would at least cool off at night! Of course, we were visiting SoCal in the fall, so the temps were a bit better than they are in the summer. Now that we've driven with the RV in LA, I think we'll feel better about doing it again later next month. At least I hope so!!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!