June 7, 2020

Classic French Toast (with Challah)

Classic French Toast
New York Times Cooking

We've always enjoyed "breakfast for dinner," usually comprising either omelets, pancakes or French toast (I'm not a fan of waffles, as they require far too much butter and syrup to make them palatable), and with the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, I find I'm adding these simple meals to our weekly rotation far more often than ever before. I like homemade buttermilk pancakes, but French toast has always come in second place when trying to decide between the two. Not anymore!

Until recently, I had always made French toast with a simple mixture of eggs and milk. No extra egg yolks, vanilla, salt or cream. And, the bread has always been a simple white sandwich variety (usually Oroweat's Country or Buttermilk). But all this changed a few weeks ago when I made my first loaf of challah (recipe shared here). It was so delicious and I was quite content eating a warm slice with a small pat of butter. But then I started reading comments about how great it is for French toast, so I began to search for a more sophisticated recipe than the one I'd been using for almost 40 years. I tried this simple recipe from the New York Times and couldn't get over how just a few changes to the ingredients could elevate such a basic recipe. Delicious!

Ingredients

2 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
2 cups whole milk (1 3/4 cups milk, plus 2-4 Tbsp. heavy cream)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
Unsalted butter (for cooking)
8 slices white bread, such as Pullman, brioche or challah, sliced 1/2-3/4 inch thick
Cinnamon sugar or granulated sugar (see tips)


In a shallow bowl or pie plate, whisk the eggs, additional yolks, milk/cream, vanilla and salt until foamy and smooth. 

Heat a large griddle (or a large, heavy nonstick skillet) to 350 degrees. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter until just sizzling. 

Place 2 slices of bread in the bowl with the egg mixture, turning them a few times until evenly saturated. Do not soak.

Remove bread, allowing any excess egg to drip back into the bowl. Place on griddle and repeat you run out of space. Cook the slices for about 2 minutes, until golden brown. Add another pat of butter to the griddle and flip the slices over, making sure that the freshly melted butter coats the bottoms of the bread slices. 

Continue cooking until the second side is golden brown. If using cinnamon sugar, dust one side, then flip over and dust the other side. 

Test for doneness by pressing the center. The dent should slowly spring back. If it remains, the interior is not yet cooked. Continue cooking over medium heat, flipping occasionally, until done. 

Serve immediately, or transfer to a plate in a preheated oven (200 degrees) to keep warm while cooking the remaining slices of bread. 

Top with maple syrup, berries, jam, sliced bananas - whatever you'd like.

Tip - Dusting the slices with sugar gives them a lacy, brown crust; plain or cinnamon can be used.

My Notes:

Hands down, challah is the best bread for French toast.

Click on the link in my sidebar for more of my favorite recipes.

Please visit The Intrepid Reader for Weekend Cooking.

Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend.

9 comments:

  1. You make me reconsider my standard recipe for French toast -- just soaking the bread and frying it without extra yolks or cream. Interesting!!

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, the extra yolks, cream and vanilla make such a difference. I think the pinch of salt helps, too, but I don't taste it, so it may not be necessary.

      Delete
  2. My husband is the French Toast maker in our house. I may need to make a subtle suggestion in this direction next time he is making it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marg, he'll thank you, I'm sure! :)

      Delete
  3. Yes on challah! And now, of course I have a craving ... ARGH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I know how easy it is to make challah, I'll have to make a couple of loaves every month so we have enough leftover for French toast.

      Delete
  4. My husband Doug uses a recipe like yours. No extras and he has used Brioche. It's so good and now I told him about yours so....we are having it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, I'll have to try it with Brioche and see how my family likes it.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!