August 24, 2020

Red at the Bone

 



Fiction
2019 Penguin Audio
Narrated by: Jacqueline Woodson, Quincy Tyler Bernstine, Peter Francis James, Shayna Small, and Bahni Turpin
Finished on August 19, 2020
Rating: 3/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

Moving forward and backward in time, Jacqueline Woodson's taut and powerful new novel uncovers the role that history and community have played in the experiences, decisions, and relationships of these families, and in the life of the new child.

As the book opens in 2001, it is the evening of sixteen-year-old Melody's coming of age ceremony in her grandparents' Brooklyn brownstone. Watched lovingly by her relatives and friends, making her entrance to the music of Prince, she wears a special custom-made dress. But the event is not without poignancy. Sixteen years earlier, that very dress was measured and sewn for a different wearer: Melody's mother, for her own ceremony-- a celebration that ultimately never took place.

Unfurling the history of Melody's parents and grandparents to show how they all arrived at this moment, Woodson considers not just their ambitions and successes but also the costs, the tolls they've paid for striving to overcome expectations and escape the pull of history. As it explores sexual desire and identity, ambition, gentrification, education, class and status, and the life-altering facts of parenthood, Red at the Bone most strikingly looks at the ways in which young people must so often make long-lasting decisions about their lives--even before they have begun to figure out who they are and what they want to be.

I wound up listening to this novel at the same time I was reading Woodson's powerful memoir, Brown Girl Dreaming. Red at the Bone is a quick read, but I didn't care for it nearly as much as the memoir and I'm already sensing that the story and characters will soon be forgotten. I normally enjoy a novel read by several narrators, but this particular production made it more difficult to connect to anyone character and I regret not reading the the print version.

12 comments:

  1. I don't know why I wasn't taken with Red at the Bone as I have been with almost everything else I've read by Jacqueline Woodson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I thought maybe my lack of enthusiasm for this story was due to the fact that I listened rather than read the book. I wondered if Woodson's works are better in print rather than audio. Reading other reviews, though, makes me realize I am not in the minority about this particular book.

      Delete
  2. I've not read her at all so I am very appreciative of the review and the links to her other book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mystica, she has written quite a few books and I'm anxious to read more. Brown Girl Dreaming is one I highly recommend it. This one, not so much.

      Delete
  3. I haven’t read any books by this author, I’ll go and have a look at her catalogue, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, I first heard about Woodson when her memoir, Brown Girl Dreaming, was published. It took me a few years to finally get around to reading it and this one, but I won't stop with just these two. She's quite talented. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you liked the memoir so much ... I haven't read Woodson yet but I think the memoir sounds like a must!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, the memoir (which is written in verse) is very unique and powerful. I can't wait to read it again!

      Delete
  5. I've had both of her books on my wishlist. Despite this one not being a 5 star read it still sounds very worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I would recommend it in print versus audio. She's a talented writer, that's for certain.

      Delete
  6. I liked Red At The Bone a lot but there was a lot packed into a little book and it was harder to get all of the small things on audio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I think you're right. I really should have read this one in print. Maybe I'll go back to it someday.

      Hope all is well in your neck of the woods!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!