February 1, 2022

The Outsider

Holly Gibney #1
Fiction/Horror
2018 Simon & Schuster Audio
Narrated by Will Patton
Finished on January 24, 2022
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

An unspeakable crime. A confounding investigation. At a time when the King brand has never been stronger, he has delivered one of his most unsettling and compulsively readable stories.

An eleven-year-old boy’s violated corpse is found in a town park. Eyewitnesses and fingerprints point unmistakably to one of Flint City’s most popular citizens. He is Terry Maitland, Little League coach, English teacher, husband, and father of two girls. Detective Ralph Anderson, whose son Maitland once coached, orders a quick and very public arrest. Maitland has an alibi, but Anderson and the district attorney soon add DNA evidence to go with the fingerprints and witnesses. Their case seems ironclad.

 As the investigation expands and horrifying answers begin to emerge, King’s propulsive story kicks into high gear, generating strong tension and almost unbearable suspense. Terry Maitland seems like a nice guy, but is he wearing another face? When the answer comes, it will shock you as only Stephen King can.

I started listening to the audiobook of The Outsider last October for one of my RIP XVI reading challenge selections. I had been listening to another Stephen King collection of short stories (If It Bleeds) when I came upon Holly Gibney, a character who is in both books, and thought I should read them in the proper order. I paused If It Bleeds and began The Outsider, only to pause that as well in order to focus on my selections for Nonfiction November. In spite of taking a long break from the book, I was able to pick up where I left off without any trouble. King is such a talented storyteller and each of his characters are so well depicted that it's practically impossible to forget them, especially the ones you really do want to forget!

The Outsider is classic King and while I'm glad I listened while on my daily walks (in the daylight and around other people), the audiobook contributed to the unsettling spookiness of the story. Will Patton gives an outstanding performance and each characters' voice is distinguishable from the others, particularly Holly Gibney's. (She is such a great character!

In typical King fashion, this is not for the faint of heart. It's creepy, filled with disgusting detail and a strong paranormal vibe. Once I finish listening to If It Bleeds, I'll move on to the Mr. Mercedes trilogy, which I now understand I should have read first. Oops.

10 comments:

  1. I'm not sure about this one, but since I liked End of Watch several years ago, I might start with the Mr. Mercedes trilogy. :) Thanks for a letting us know the apparent order!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, apparently there is a Bill Hodges trilogy which includes Mr. Mercedes, Finders Keepers and End of Watch. The character (Bill Hodges) is mentioned in The Outsider and If It Bleeds. There is also a tv series based on The Outsider. I have yet to watch it.

      Delete
  2. I liked the Mr. Mercedes trilogy. Will Patton read it too and I agree that he's a great narrator. I liked Holly's character and a few others. I wonder how many of them show up in this series? I would recommend reading Mr. Mercedes in order when you get to it. It has a definite continuing story arc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, I enjoy Will Patton's narration, so I'll probably go with the audiobooks for the MM trilogy. And, yes. Definitely in order!

      Delete
  3. I didn't realize you were a big King fan. I don't really read him but I know he's a great storyteller. I've seen most of the movies off his books too. Many good ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I should count and see how many of his books I've read over the years. I think the very first one was The Shining. You can see some of my reviews and a list of some of what I've read here. I should update that list and put a link in my sidebar.

      Delete
  4. I have only read 3 King books (Mr Mercedes, Outsider, and Billy Summers) and I love that the characters have popped up in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, he has written so many gems. Of all the authors I read, he may just be the one with the most reviews on my blog. If you need recommendations, click here to see some of what I've read. Lots of winners in the bunch!

      Delete
  5. I liked this series and glad you enjoyed this one as well. So excite he has a new book due out in September - it's called Fairy Tale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I still have so many of his earlier books that I haven't read, but I am eager to read Fairy Tale when it comes out this fall.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!