June 23, 2023

Looking Back - All Quiet on the Western Front

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.

Fiction
1929 Little, Brown and Company
Finished on December 31, 2001
Rating: 1.5/5 (Meh)

Publisher's Blurb:

Paul Baumer enlisted with his classmates in the German army of World War I. Youthful, enthusiastic, they become soldiers. But despite what they have learned, they break into pieces under the first bombardment in the trenches. And as horrible war plods on year after year, Paul holds fast to a single vow: to fight against the principles of hate that meaninglessly pits young men of the same generation but different uniforms against each other--if only he can come out of the war alive.

My Original Thoughts (2001):

Disappointing. My husband told me it was a beautifully written anti-war novel, so I thought I'd read it since it's also a classic, and I'm trying to read more of those. I found it dull, boring and tedious. I perservered and read to the end, and some chapters were easier to stay focused on than others, but for the most part my mind wandered. I didn't feel any attachment to any of the characters. Depressing. Not a book I'd recommend, nor do I wish to read it a second time. Maybe it's one of those books that's best read for discussion in a classroom environment. 

My Current Thoughts: 

I have read many, many novels about World War II, but very few about the First World War. Losing Julia (Jonathan Hull) and The Absolutist (John Boyne) are much more engaging than All Quiet on the Western Front.

2 comments:

  1. I think All Quiet on the Western Front is a classic about WWI, but very male and very of its time. More current novels reflect our interest in women, the home front, social and cultural history, etc. This one is really military/male. The 1979 movie with Richard Thomas (John Boy from the Waltons) was a good version of it if someone likes war movies. Clips from this version really helped my students understand trench warfare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I agree with everything you have to say about this being very male and very of its time. I doubt I'll watch the movie, although I do like Richard Thomas. Thanks for your input.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!