June 22, 2023

Many Glacier Hotel & Swift Current Lake - St. Mary, Montana (Part Two)

Glacier National Park Road Trip (Fall 2022)
September 14-15, 2022
Many Glacier Hotel & Swift Current Lake

After walking around the grounds of Many Glacier Hotel, we began our drive back to St. Mary, only to notice a group of people standing on the side of the road, looking up the mountain at something. I quickly pulled over, grabbed my camera, and ran toward the group. Yes! They were watching a grizzly! It took a while for me to spot it with my naked eye since it was pretty far away (I might have mistaken one or two boulders for a bear before I finally locked my gaze on the bear with a hump), but as soon as I did, I used my telephoto lens to get a closer look. He was busy munching on something (Weeds? Wildflowers? A small animal?) and never once glanced toward the gathering crowd on the roadside. I'm happy I was a safe distance from this guy, but I wish I could have gotten a few photos that show his face better than what I took.    

Practicing Safe Distancing!

Zoomed In


Once I had shot two or three dozen frames, and it was obvious the bear wasn't going to accommodate the paparazzi, I returned to the RV and we headed down the road. We decided to pull over and have our lunch along the banks of creek. It was absolutely gorgeous and very peaceful sitting in the sun, listening the flow of the water.





Happy Campers!

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, you saw a bear! That is the one animal we didn't see when we were in Alaska (I think my mother was both disappointed and relieved).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, we were pretty excited about that bear! Thank goodness he wasn't too close, although he seemed pretty happy to be eating the vegetation and not humans. ;) On our current trip, we've seen two bear, a couple of mountain goats, some big horn sheep, and elk. Still no moose!

      Delete
  2. You are making me want to get a camper and travel out west so much! In the 90's we turned a school bus into a camper and now I wish we had never sold it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, you could always rent an RV just for a few weeks (or months) and take a road trip. It's probably much cheaper than buying one! We love seeing schoolies while on the road. Some folks have really converted them into lovely homes.

      Delete
  3. There's the happy pair! Nice photo. And that bear looks like a healthy fuzzy wuzzy bear. That's a safe distance, lol. Good zoom job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, that bear had no interest in the paparazzi that was standing on the shoulder of the road trying to capture a good photo. Lol.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!