June 30, 2023

Looking Back - A Christmas Carol

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.

Fiction/Classic
1938 The John C. Winston Company (first published in 1843)
Finished on January 2, 2002
Rating: 3/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

A Christmas Carol is a novella by English author Charles Dickens. It was first published by Chapman & Hall on 19 December 1843. It tells the story of a bitter old miser named Ebenezer Scrooge and his transformation resulting from a supernatural visit by the ghost of his former business partner Jacob Marley and the Ghosts of Christmases Past, Present and Yet to Come.

The novella met with instant success and critical acclaim. The book was written and published in early Victorian era Britain, a period when there was strong nostalgia for old Christmas traditions together with the introduction of new customs, such as Christmas trees and greeting cards. Dickens' sources for the tale appear to be many and varied, but are, principally, the humiliating experiences of his childhood, his sympathy for the poor, and various Christmas stories and fairy tales.

My Original Thoughts (2002):

OK. Nothing great since I've seen so many versions on TV. The illustrations are very good, though.

My Current Thoughts:

I'm sure I've read this more than once, but I have no desire to read it again.

4 comments:

  1. I've read this at least 2 or 3 times, too, but it's far from my favorite Dickens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I don't know if I have a favorite of his. Maybe A Tale of Two Cities or Great Expectations.

      Delete
  2. I've read it a long time ago and sometimes think I should read it again around the holidays to get into the holiday spirit. I have seen some film versions but my favorite was a theater production. That was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I'll bet it was fun to see a theater production of the story!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!