November 19, 2023

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

 

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain
Nonfiction
2012 Random House Audio
Narrated by Kathe Mazur
Finished on November 16, 2023
Rating: 3/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

At least one-third of the people we know are introverts. They are the ones who prefer listening to speaking; who innovate and create but dislike self-promotion; who favor working on their own over working in teams. It is to introverts—Rosa Parks, Chopin, Dr. Seuss, Steve Wozniak—that we owe many of the great contributions to society.

In Quiet, Susan Cain argues that we dramatically undervalue introverts and shows how much we lose in doing so. She charts the rise of the Extrovert Ideal throughout the twentieth century and explores how deeply it has come to permeate our culture. She also introduces us to successful introverts—from a witty, high-octane public speaker who recharges in solitude after his talks, to a record-breaking salesman who quietly taps into the power of questions. Passionately argued, superbly researched, and filled with indelible stories of real people, Quiet has the power to permanently change how we see introverts and, equally important, how they see themselves.

After reading several glowing reviews, I picked up a copy of Susan Cain's latest book (Bittersweet) while traveling this past summer. (I'm always happy to support indie bookstores when we're on the road.) I've had Cain's previous bestseller (Quiet) on my TBR list for over a decade and decided to start with that book before reading Bittersweet.  

Quiet is well-researched and full of interesting anecdotes and examples. I found myself nodding in agreement, recognizing not only myself, but friends and family members who are classic introverts. I'm sure some would be surprised to learn that I consider myself an introvert. After all, I can lead a book group discussion, hand-sell my favorite books to complete strangers, and throw dinner parties. But I prefer small, casual gatherings over big events. I'm perfectly content spending time alone on my walks, shopping by myself rather than with a group of girlfriends, or relaxing on the weekend, curled up with a good book. Thankfully, my husband feels the same.
Introverts, in contrast, may have strong social skills and enjoy parties and business meetings, but after a while wish they were home in their pajamas. They prefer to devote their social energies to close friends, colleagues, and family. They listen more than they talk, think before they speak, and often feel as if they express themselves better in writing than in conversation. They tend to dislike conflict. Many have a horror of small talk, but enjoy deep discussions.
It was nice reading a book that validated my feelings about my personality, and yet, I felt like the author was stating the obvious. There aren't a lot of "Ah-ha!" moments revealed in Cain's writing, and halfway in, my mind started to wander, but I was content to continue listening to Kathe Mazur's outstanding narration. 

I found the following quiz on the author's website. I answered yes to 17 of the statements. How about you?
1. I prefer one-on-one conversations to group activities.
2. I often prefer to express myself in writing.
3. I enjoy solitude.
4. I seem to care about wealth, fame, and status less than my peers.
5. I dislike small talk, but I enjoy talking in-depth about topics that matter to me.
6. People tell me that I'm a good listener.
7. I'm not a big risk-taker.
8. I enjoy work that allows me to "dive in" with few interruptions.
9. I like to celebrate birthdays on a small scale, with only one or two close friends or family members.
10. People describe me as "soft-spoken" or "mellow".
11. I prefer not to show or discuss my work with others until it's finished.
12. I dislike conflict.
13. I do my best work on my own.
14. I tend to think before I speak.
15. I feel drained after being out and about, even if I've enjoyed myself.
16. I often let calls go through to voice-mail.
17. If I had to choose, I'd prefer a weekend with absolutely nothing to do to one with too many things scheduled.
18. I don't enjoy multi-tasking.
19. I can concentrate easily.
20. In classroom situations, I prefer lectures to seminars.

18 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting book. I consider myself mostly an introvert. I'm wondering if this book would make me think differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, I feel like I have some extrovert traits, and I think everyone has a little bit of both, but overall, I'm an introvert.

      Delete
  2. I answered yes to 17 of the above statements, too, and am definitely the most introverted of my 5 siblings. Most reviews I've seen of this book have been lukewarm (one of my daughters is reading it now... will see what she thinks), so I'll probably try Bittersweet first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I don't really want to share my results, but it'd be funny if the statements that didn't fit me are the same for you. ;) Interesting that your daughter is reading this since it's been out for so long. I wonder if Cain will ever release an updated version that speaks about Covid (remote learning, working from home, etc.).

      Delete
  3. I think I have meant to try this book, but I never did I don't believe. Since it's been out over 10 years, I suspect that I would also find it filled with things I already know or surmise. The introvert/extrovert topic has been explored a lot in recent years. Myself? An introvert that is able to be extroverted for short periods of time. I answered the quiz with about the same as you - 16 of 20. And I'm married to someone who is pretty much the same as me. We can be social for short periods of time. Then we have to go home and recover - ha! I find lots of socialization exhausting. I like my solitary walks listening to my books and have found some people think it's odd that I don't want to walk with a friends or in a group. Thanks for the info on this one, Les. I can socialize a lot better through commenting on blogs, emails, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I'm the same. I can "perform" as an extrovert, but not for more than a few hours/days. I'm always ready to go home and recover! :) I enjoy my quiet time, and looking back, the pandemic wasn't nearly as hard on me as it was for a few of my extroverted friends.

      Delete
  4. I answered yes to 18 :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, I'll bet a lot of readers/book bloggers fall into the introvert category!

      Delete
  5. I am definitely an extrovert, getting my energy from being with people. But, as I get older, I definitely enjoy my alone time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, that's an interesting thought to consider. I wonder if some extroverts shift as they get older. I know I didn't like to be alone when I was in my 20s, but I've come to embrace solitude.

      Delete
  6. I have always been a classic introvert and got 20/20 on the quiz. I read this a few years ago and enjoyed it. The ideas weren't as fresh then as they had been when the book first came out, but I found it validating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, I agree that the ideas aren't as fresh as they were 20 years ago, and I wonder what Cain would have to say about the pandemic and how introverts managed in comparison to extroverts.

      Delete
  7. I answered mostly yes. And I'm an introvert thru and thru. I've been curious about this book ... but I wonder if it states the obvious too much and my mind would wander a bunch. I value too much Quiet I think, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, this book is probably a little dated. Or maybe just states the obvious now that the introvert topic has been well-discussed over that past decade or so. I am, however, very interested in her new book, Bittersweet. I may start that once I finish my current mystery read.

      Delete
  8. I'm a true introvert. 20/20 was my score.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of us are in this category, Jinjer. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. Deirdre O’Malley Keating8:40 AM

    I answered yes to 17, but my professional work taught me how to present as an extrovert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deirdre, I'll bet you're not the only one who has learned to present as an extrovert. I do, in certain social situations, but I'm worn out once the event is over!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!