February 7, 2024

Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow

 

Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin
Fiction
2022
Finished on February 3, 2024
Rating: 4.5/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

In this exhilarating novel, two friends--often in love, but never lovers--come together as creative partners in the world of video game design, where success brings them fame, joy, tragedy, duplicity, and, ultimately, a kind of immortality.

On a bitter-cold day, in the December of his junior year at Harvard, Sam Masur exits a subway car and sees, amid the hordes of people waiting on the platform, Sadie Green. He calls her name. For a moment, she pretends she hasn't heard him, but then, she turns, and a game begins: a legendary collaboration that will launch them to stardom. These friends, intimates since childhood, borrow money, beg favors, and, before even graduating college, they have created their first blockbuster, Ichigo. Overnight, the world is theirs. Not even twenty-five years old, Sam and Sadie are brilliant, successful, and rich, but these qualities won't protect them from their own creative ambitions or the betrayals of their hearts.

Spanning thirty years, from Cambridge, Massachusetts, to Venice Beach, California, and lands in between and far beyond, Gabrielle Zevin's Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow is a dazzling and intricately imagined novel that examines the multifarious nature of identity, disability, failure, the redemptive possibilities in play, and above all, our need to connect: to be loved and to love. Yes, it is a love story, but it is not one you have read before.

Wow! I was hesitant to read this novel, worried that it was going to be a case of an over-hyped book, but it lives up to all the accolades and recognition. I loved it! I'm not a gamer, but I didn't feel compelled to skim over those details, but rather enjoyed learning a little bit about the gaming world. (I felt the same way about Ready Player One, which turned out to be an absolute favorite the year I read it.) While not a gamer, I'm of an age where names such as The Oregon Trail, Donkey Kong, Super Mario Brothers, SimsWarcraft, Doom, and Final Fantasy are familiar. I loved the nostalgia these games bring to the narrative.

I've read two other books by Zevin (The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry and Young Jane Young), each of which are very good, but Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow surpasses both in depth and creativity. And, just as I was beginning to think that the novel was losing momentum, getting bogged down in relationship dramas, Zevin threw in a startling event that pulled me back to the edge of my seat. Great dialogue, sophisticated and imaginative plotting, and loveable characters. A very satisfying (and engrossing) read that you'll want to discuss with others. I can't wait for my husband to give it a read! Highly recommend.

8 comments:

  1. I agree that the video game references in this novel hit me since those were the "it" games when I was growing up (even though I hardly played them). I am impressed by this writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, if you haven't read Young Jane Young, I highly recommend it, too. Click on the title above to find my review. I tried one of her YA books (Evermore, I think), but couldn't get interested. Might have to give it another chance.

      Delete
  2. I have this one on my shelf in print. Need to try it. And I've not read other books by the author as yet. Those games are familiar to me and I played Donkey Kong and Mario with our daughter way back. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about it, Les!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, in addition to the print copy, I have the audio (from Libro.fm influencers group). As I got toward the end of the book, I wanted to give the audio a listen and see how I liked it. I much prefered the print over the audio, so I'm glad to know that you have a print copy. I think you'll enjoy it, especially since you're familiar with those games. I remember trying to play Mario with my daughter. Key word: trying. Lol! Enjoy!

      Delete
  3. Oh thanks for this. So glad it worked for you. I still need to read it and I feel like I'm one of the last. I guess I shouldn't be hesitant. I read her debut - okay -- but I hope this one blows that out of the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, this is much, much better than her debut. I also recommend Young Jane Young. Did you read Ready Player One? That's also a great story!

      Delete
  4. I only recently realized that this book had at least some focus on video games. I wouldn't describe myself as a gamer (that implies a level of dedication and dexterity I've never achieved) but I've always liked to casually play them. I was thinking of adding this to my list but now I definitely will.

    ReplyDelete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!