June 16, 2024

Family Family

 


Family Family by Laurie Frankel
Fiction
2024
Finished on June 14, 2024
Rating: 3/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

“Not all stories of adoption are stories of pain and regret. Not even most of them. Why don’t we ever get that movie?”

India Allwood grew up wanting to be an actor. Armed with a stack of index cards (for research/line memorization/make-shift confetti), she goes from awkward sixteen-year-old to Broadway ingenue to TV superhero.

Her new movie is a prestige picture about adoption, but its spin is the same old tired story of tragedy. India is an adoptive mom in real life though. She wants everyone to know there’s more to her family than pain and regret. So she does something you should never do—she tells a journalist the truth: it’s a bad movie.

Soon she’s at the center of a media storm, battling accusations from the press and the paparazzi, from protesters on the right and advocates on the left. Her twin ten-year-olds know they need help–and who better to call than family? But that’s where it gets really messy because India’s not just an adoptive mother…

The one thing she knows for sure is what makes a family isn’t blood. And it isn’t love. No matter how they’re formed, the truth about family is this: it's complicated.

I was so excited when I spotted a copy of Family Family, Laurie Frankel's latest novel on the new release shelf at my library. I had recently compiled my stack of books for the 20 Books of Summer Reading challenge, but decided to put that on pause so I could first read this highly anticipated book. Sadly, it wasn't the hit I had hoped for. 

The story starts off well, and I quickly came to enjoy the snappy dialogue between India and the supporting cast of characters. I was taken aback by the turn of events about halfway into the book, but happy for an unpredictable plot and interesting themes about the structure of families. At that point, though, the book began to bog down, became unrealistic, and what was once entertaining dialogue, became tiresome. (If you've watched The Gilmore Girls, India's conversations and behavior reminded me of Lorelai, who is entertaining, but exhausting.) I was ready to finish the book and move on to my next read.

Family Family is the third book of Frankel's that I've read in the past few years. Prior to this recent release, I read One Two Three, which was also a challenge to finish. The first, and my favorite, is still This Is How It Always Is. I gave that novel a perfect 5-star rating, and it's one that I look forward to reading again. I'm sorry her more recent works haven't lived up to my expectations.

14 comments:

  1. This one sounded so promising to me. But I understand what you mean about a long patter of dialogue, even clever dialogue, becoming tiresome.

    Perhaps I should look for This is How it Always is, since you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I think Frankel's books are good at addressing social issues, but this one missed the mark. This Is How It Always Is was outstanding. Lots to learn and think about. It would be a good one for a book club.

      Delete
  2. I don't think I have ever read any of Frankel's books. The cover is cool and that would have gotten me to pick it up at a bookstore, crow that I am :-) I see you are listening to Meredith. Alone. I liked that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, the cover art is pretty cool, isn't it? I had to laugh at your crow comment. We have so many in our neighborhood right now. I caught one of them eating some snail bait earlier today. Hope it doesn't hurt him! I just finished Meredith Alone. It was a touching, uplifting story. I liked it, too.

      Delete
    2. I just commented about Claire Alexander and went to Goodreads but can't find the new title. Do you know what it's called?

      Oh yeah, I am a crow for the shiny book covers! Sometimes it's the window dressing and the plot doesn't grab me when I read the book jacket, but it does make me pick it up!

      Delete
    3. Tina, I left a reply to your question about Claire Alexander's new title on my post for Meredith, Alone.

      Delete
  3. I really liked One, Two, Three, but haven't read anything else by Frankel. I'll add This is How It Always Is to my list! Family, Family doesn't sound appealing to me, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenclair, I think if you liked One, Two, Three, you'll love This Is How It Always Is. It's a remarkable, and thought-provoking novel. I'm really glad I read it before the other two.

      Delete
  4. I've yet to read Frankel, but won't start here. This is How It Always is on my kindle , so my plan is to give that a try first. Everyone seems to love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, This Is How It Always Is was both entertaining and educational. I have such an appreciation for Frankel's storytelling, as well as her ability to educate her readers. In this book, readers learn about a family who helps their child become the person he knows he truly is. It's based on the author's personal experience with her child, so it feels very authentic and honest. I'm going to read it again this fall.

      Delete
  5. I commented on Instagram, but I'll say it again. What a disappointment. that this book wasn't terrific. Like you I loved This is How it Always Is and recommended it to many people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, a lot of readers enjoyed this book, so maybe give it a try anyway. TIHIAI was so powerful and informative. I hope to read it a second time later this year.

      Delete
  6. You had high hopes it seems ... and it's too bad this one couldn't meet the expectations. I have seen others who've said similar things about this novel so I guess it's not a big hit as her first was. hmm

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan, it certainly wasn't as good as This Is How It Always Is, at least for me. Glancing at Goodreads, I do see that most readers gave it a 4-star rating, so I am in the minority.

    ReplyDelete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!