June 14, 2024

Looking Back - Of Mice and Men

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.



Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
Fiction - Classic
1937
Finished on March 6, 2002
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

“I got you to look after me, and you got me to look after you, and that's why.”

They are an unlikely pair: George is "small and quick and dark of face"; Lennie, a man of tremendous size, has the mind of a young child. Yet they have formed a "family," clinging together in the face of loneliness and alienation. Laborers in California's dusty vegetable fields, they hustle work when they can, living a hand-to-mouth existence. But George and Lennie have a plan: to own an acre of land and a shack they can call their own.

While the powerlessness of the laboring class is a recurring theme in Steinbeck's work of the late 1930s, he narrowed his focus when composing Of Mice and Men, creating an intimate portrait of two men facing a world marked by petty tyranny, misunderstanding, jealousy, and callousness. But though the scope is narrow, the theme is universal: a friendship and a shared dream that makes an individual's existence meaningful.

A unique perspective on life's hardships, this story has achieved the status of timeless classic due to its remarkable success as a novel, a Broadway play, and three acclaimed films.
  
My Original Thoughts (2002):

I read this with the Banned Book Group (online). Quick novella. It's been awhile since I've read anything by Steinbeck. I enjoyed this straight-forward story about George & Lennie. I'm sure I read it in high school, but didn't remember any of the details except the scene with Lennie and the mouse.

My Current Thoughts:

I'm surprised I gave this book such a high rating. It's not one of my favorites by Steinbeck, and I doubt I'll read it again. Someday, I would like to make time to reread The Grapes of Wrath, though.

12 comments:

  1. Of Mice and Men is often read in CA 9th grade English classes and students like it more than many that they read. I think Lenny pulls them in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, that's probably about the time I read it (in a California high school). I read The Grapes of Wrath in 10th grade.

      Delete
  2. Sadly, Of Mice and Men regularly appears on banned book lists. I read it in high school and once since, but need to read it again, just because of it being banned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenclair, I simply don't understand the reason for anyone to ban a book. If you think it's inappropriate, don't read it. If you don't want your child to read it, talk to their teacher about an alternative. Sigh.

      Delete
  3. I read this in high school, then maybe a decade or so ago. I appreciated much more as an adult... think I missed (or forgot about) the finer points when I was in 9th grade. Book banning makes me so angry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, this is one of those books that I can appreciate reading the Cliffs Notes along with the book. There's a lot beneath the surface. Yes, book banning is infuriating.

      Delete
  4. This was a powerful read for me as a young person. It took me out of my small town to the larger world, and that, if for no other reason, is a good reason for people to read it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, your comment is exactly why reading is so important and valuable to everyone. I wonder if this book is still being taught in high school.

      Delete
  5. Our tastes certainly change as the years go by. I also read this ages ago and would only be tempted again if I were going to do a banned book challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, that's probably the only time I'd be tempted to read it again, too.

      Delete
  6. I agree that Grapes of Wrath is the one Steinbeck novel I'd be willing to re-read. I believe it's his best, most universal novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judith, I agree that it's one of his best. I read it in high school, but haven't read it a second time. I'm due! I did read East of Eden as an adult and thought it was outstanding, too.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!