January 1, 2024

A Month in Summary - December 2023

Little Whale Cove
Depoe Bay, Oregon
December 2023

Happy New Year, friends! I hope you all had a safe and happy holiday season. Ours was busy, but not too stressful. We helped throw a retirement party for one of our community staff members, held our holiday book club meeting in our home, hosted a Christmas party for our friends & neighbors, celebrated my 62nd birthday, and enjoyed a couple of other holiday gatherings. Christmas Day was low-key, which suited us after a very busy month.

I had another great month of reading, partially due to a few nights of insomnia. I should probably try reading a dull book (Moby Dick?) when I can't sleep rather than exciting thrillers such as those by Allen Eskens. Two of his books kept me awake until the sun came up!


Books Read (click on the title for my review):

Hello Beautiful by Ann Napolitano (4/5)

A Question of Identity by Susan Hill (4/5)

Wrong Place Wrong Time by Gillian McAllister (4/5)

French Braid by Ann Tyler (4/5)

Forsaken Country by Allen Eskens (4.5/5)

Saving Emma by Allen Eskens (4/5)

Movies & TV Series:


The ABC Murders - John Malkovich stars as an older but wiser Hercule Poirot. I enjoyed his performance, but was underwhelmed by the program.


Shetland (Season 8) - While I enjoy Tosh's ongoing role in this tv series, the absence of DI Jimmy Perez is too great. We'll finish the season, but I don't know if we'll watch more if there's more to come.


Dear Edward - I enjoyed this novel, but the tv series doesn't compare. I gave up after one episode.


New Amsterdam - Finished! I enjoyed the earlier seasons much more than the recent releases, but I had to see how it ended. I'm happy to be finished.


Vera (Season 5 & 6) - I was surprised and disappointed that Joe Ashworth was no longer Vera's sidekick, but it didn't take long to warm up to DS Aiden Healy. I love this program and am happy there are so many more episodes remaining. We especially like that each mystery is solved in a single episode. Brenda Blethyn is outstanding!


Slow Horses (Season 3) - We've only watched a couple of episodes, but so far, so good. Gary Oldman is excellent.


The Crown (Season 6) - I'm surprised that I'm enjoying this final season as well as I am. The acting seems much better than previous seasons, although Imelda Staunton has been consistently good. 

I'll leave you with a few photos from this past month. May the New Year bring you nothing but peace and joy.







12 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to Dear Edward but maybe I will skip the show afterwards. Sometimes the tv shows can't do justice to the books. Did you read Slow Horses before watching and if so, what did you think? I like Gary Oldman so this one is on my radar.
    Lovely photos, Les! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, if you do watch Dear Edward, let me know if it improves over the course of the series. No, I haven't read Slow Horses, but the show is quite good. A little confusing in the first few episodes of each season, but the acting is very good.

      Delete
  2. Les, this is a lovely update post! And may I say that your header photo is really, really wonderful! You live in such a beautiful place! Glad you guys got to have so much fun for December, but also had some quiet time as well. I'll comment on a couple of your TV shows - Shetland - understand what you are saying and, yes, missing Jimmy Perez too. Not too sure about the blonde DI. We watched that same actress on Agatha Raisin and the characters are quite, quite different. Ha! I love Vera (both the show and the books) and look forward to a new season coming in 2024. Think it is #13. Not sure how much longer Brenda Blethyn will want to do that show. And Vera can't be replaced I don't think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Kay. I always enjoy these monthly wrap-ups and know they'll be fun to look back on in the years ahead. And thanks for your kind words about my header photo. The water was so gorgeous that day, and the waves were amazing! We really do live in a beautiful spot. Ah, Tosh. She's a good character, but Perez was much better. The supporting cast doesn't seem to be as involved in this season, either. Oh, Vera. She is such a great character! And, no. Brenda Blethyn is Vera. I can't imagine anyone else in that role.

      Delete
  3. Sharon9:17 AM

    I loved Hello Beautiful too. I haven't read any of the other books in your list. We are big fans of Shetland and as much as I like Tosh, I don't like her as the main character. Ruth is okay but I really miss Jimmy Perez. We finally finished up with Vera and are anxiously awaiting the new season when Joe comes back. We also liked The Crown best when it focused on Queen Elizabeth. Best wishes for a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, I enjoyed Hello Beautiful, but didn't love it. Sadly, it didn't make my Best of 2023 list. I heard that Joe is coming back to Vera in the new season. That should be interesting. I don't want to stumble on any spoilers, but I wonder what happens to Aiden. Don't tell me! :) Happy New Year to you!

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year! I enjoyed this final season of the Crown though it all hit home since I remember the Diana fervor vividly.

    I still need to watch season 3 of Slow Horses and plan to do so once my daughter is back in NY.

    I've added a couple of your favorites to my TBR list so thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I have a couple of episodes remaining in The Crown. I'm surprised that I'm feeling sorry to see it end. I sure do remember all of the news about Diana and her death. I was in Los Angeles for my mother-in-law's memorial service the same weekend as Diana's. Got up very early to watch it on TV. Heartbreaking.

      Slow Horses is really good this season. Wonderful cliff-hangers at the end of each episode!

      Glad you found some books to add to your TBR list. :)

      Delete
  5. Such lovely Christmas decorations. Happy New Year friend. Sound like December was busy but a lot of fun. I always love to read your movie/tv show notes too as I'm always on the look out for some good crime shows to check out. Wishing you all the best in 2024 and hopefully lots of great books too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iliana. Combining homes with my mom resulted in a lot of wonderful Christmas decorations. She has a great collection of snowmen, and I love her small tree. December (and November!) were very busy, but great fun, too. Just finishing up Slow Horses, which I highly recommend, although the episode that we watched last night is very intense! Happy New Year to you, too!

      Delete
  6. What pretty flowers! And happy belated birthday! Robert just had his 62nd bday too on Dec. 30. Slow Horses is good so far, but would Gary Oldman's character just take a shower & wash his hair! Lol. We are meandering through The Crown Season 6 as well. Imelda makes a good queen. I forgot to mention in my comments for the post above that Yoko Ogawa, the author of The Housekeeper & the Professor, has a new novel coming out in Aug. 2024! Mina's Matchbox. Hooray. Look for it. I don't know much about it -- but then I don't need to ... she a go-to master.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the birthday wishes. Please wish Robert a happy belated from us, as well! Ugh, yes. Jackson Lamb is a pretty gross character, isn't he? We finished the third season last night, so I'm not sure what we'll start in on tonight. I'll finish The Crown later tonight, as well. I've really enjoyed this final season. Thanks for the info about Yoko Ogawa's new book. I'll definitely have to read that once it hits the shelves!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!