March 2, 2024

A Month In Summary - February 2024

Little Whale Cove
Depoe Bay, Oregon
February 29, 2024


I took the above photo between heavy showers and gusty winds yesterday afternoon. And now, as I sit at my desk, getting ready to post this monthly summary, the temperature has dropped and snow has begun to gently fall. I think it may be a while before it starts to feel like spring!

I had an outstanding month of reading with several winners. Actually, they were all winners, as you can see by the high ratings. I've been on a roll with mysteries and thrillers, re-read a favorite classic, finished two 400+ page chunksters, and thoroughly enjoyed my book club selection for February. Have you read any of these?



Books Read (click on the title for my review):

Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin (4.5/5)

The Comforts of Home by Susan Hill (4.5/5)

The Weight of Silence by Heather Gudenkauf (4.5/5)

Nine Lives by Peter Swanson (4/5)

The Giver by Lois Lowry (4/5)

Since We Fell by Dennis Lehane (5/5)


Movies & TV Series:


Anatomy of a Fall - I enjoyed this quite well, although it was a bit long. Great acting. Kept me guessing!


Lessons in Chemistry - I read the book in 2022 and thought it was good, but not great. The miniseries, however, is very good. My only complaint is that it wasn't long enough! I could have watched eight more episodes.


Masters of the Air - Based on Donald Miller's book, this was an okay program to watch each week as a new episode dropped, but it doesn't compare to Stephen Ambrose's Band of Brothers. Time to watch that one again.


Monsieur Spade - I enjoyed watching Clive Owen in this mystery, but the show was confusing, and the translated dialogue kept getting hidden beneath the closed captions (for non-essential descriptions of birds chirping or music playing, for example). Overall, this is one to watch back-to-back and not once a week!
 

Vera (Season 9-12) - Such a reliable show! I do, however, wish that DS Aiden Healy had a bigger role as an true investigator and not just as Vera's sarcastic sidekick. He's become annoying with his three expressions of irritation, surprise or anger.


Living - I love Bill Nighy! Don't be put off by the slow pace. This is a wonderful, albeit quiet film. Beautiful cinematography. Outstanding performance by supporting cast. Bravo!

Puzzlemania:



Other News:

Last year I decided to jump on the bandwagon and try "Dry January." It wasn't too difficult to give up my daily glass (or two) of red wine, but as soon as the calendar page turned to February, I was back to my regular evening drink. This year, after reading about the Oregon Health Authority initiative "Rethink the Drink," I made the decision to stop drinking 99% of the time. I still enjoy a glass of wine with my Mah Jong pals, or when we're out with friends celebrating a birthday or retirement, but my daily wine consumption has ended as of January 1st. And to be completely honest, I don't miss it. I either have a seltzer with a slice of lime or plain old water. I'm sleeping more soundly and have shed a few pounds, as a result. I doubt I'll ever quit completely, but moderation in all things, right? 

No power outages this month, but we sure have had some rainy weather. 8.51 inches in February brings our "yearly" (beginning in September) total a whopping 58.93 inches! The ground is saturated and we are getting some gusty winds (up to 63 mph on Wednesday), but we haven't had any trees fall, which is a good thing!

My blogiversary came and went without any fanfare this month. More and more of my blogging friends have stepped away from their blogs (which makes me sad, but I understand), but I've been at it for 18 years and have no plans to stop. Thank you all who continue to read and comment on my posts. I appreciate each and every one of you!

22 comments:

  1. We didn't share any books this month but we do share a love of Charlie Harper puzzles. We tried Living but it was definitely too slow for us. We felt the same way about Monsieur Spade. Clive Owen was very good in the role thought. We watched the first of the new season of Vera this week. I was surprised we missed Aiden but it's nice having Joe back! Our weather in Cincinnati has been all the seasons this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, I love Charlie Harper's artwork and his puzzles are so much fun to work on. We're not that far in Vera, but I did read somewhere that Joe comes back, so that makes me happy. We're currently enjoying MI5, which is very suspenseful!

      Delete
  2. Let's see - I've read the Susan Hill book (and that's where I've gotten to in the series - have a couple to catch up), I've also read The Giver, Nine Lives, and I think I've read The Weight of Silence. All good as I recall. As to TV - Season 13 of is finally beginning, though I think it only has 3 episodes. Only one available now and we haven't watched it. My husband doesn't like Vera as much as I do. Ha! I am caught up on the mystery book series as well and a new one comes out in late summer I think. I tip my hat to you for 18 years (wow - are we old? - ha!). And I agree 'moderation in all things' - I'm back to tracking my food on WW and determined to shed a few pounds. It's not at all as bad as it could be in that regard though. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I just finished another one of Susan Hill's books and it was quite as good as The Comforts of Home. A few loose ends... I'm surprised Rod enjoys Vera as much as I do. I didn't think he would, but he's a big fan of shows that wrap up the mystery in each episode. Good for you to get back to WW. I'm determined to stick with my health/exercise goals. It's always nice to start seeing results.

      Delete
  3. I love Bill Nighy, too! This movie is a remake of a classic Japanese film that Byron and I both loved, called IKIRU. I thought they did a great job with the remake, loved Bill Nighy in the role, and they paid tribute to the Kurosawa film in some of ways they filmed different scenes. Congratulations on 18 years of blogging, and wishing you many more years of sharing your reading and life with us. Always enjoyable to read your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, I read somewhere that Living is a remake of IKIRU. I should watch that one now. Thank you for your kind words about my blog. It's been nice to have the time to keep it going all these years. Not as hard-pressed to find time as I was when I was working!

      Delete
  4. Wow happy blogiversary! 18 years is great. I started in 2009 so it's been awhile. Your monthly wrap-ups are always great posts. So much here. We've stopped a lot of our drinking too -- kudos to you for doing so -- and it feels good. I don't crave it like I used to do, just replace it with something else. It seems healthier. You sure got a lot of rain this winter, whoa. And we enjoyed Anatomy of a Fall too ... and Lessons in Chemistry and Masters of the Air as it goes along. You had a great reading month -- so many you read are long! I still need to read Tomorrow Tomorrow. I look forward to seeing your reads in March. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. I'm amazed it's been 18 years! I think a lot of folks have cut back on their drinking. Year ago, I only drank beer and that was only every once in a while. Sometime around 2005 I started drinking wine and I think since we moved to the coast, my daily consumption jumped up to two glasses a night. And they weren't 5 oz! With all I do to eat properly and get a lot of exercise, it seemed contradictory to imbibe so much every day. It does feel good to have cut way back and I truly don't miss it. Anyhow... Give Tomorrow a read. It's a winner!

      Delete
  5. Your video selections and your puzzle all look like a lot of fun. Have a good month in March!
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mae. I'm not doing as much puzzle work as in years past, but it's nice to have one to work on in the evenings while listening to audiobooks. Take care and thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  6. Love the puzzles and some of your shows look so interesting. We can't get the Apple tv but there are many shows I would like to see. Hoping our library gets Lessons in Chemistry as I enjoyed the book.

    Masters of the Air also looks good and funny you mentioned Band of Brothers - we just finished watching it about a week ago. Tremendous series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina! I'm working on a fun puzzle right now, and finding more time to do so since we've had so much rain and I'm not getting outside for my walks. Last night I worked on it while listening to an audiobook, which was fun. I hope you can get Lessons in Chemistry from the library. It's a good show! Ah, Band of Brothers is one of my favorite series. We have the DVDs and have watch them at least two times. Might be time for a third viewing! I especially love the behind the scenes stuff, specifically Ron Livingston's full video diary, which I think you can watch on YouTube. So good!

      Delete
  7. Happy blogoversary. I've been going for 15 years and also don't want to stop (yet?). I am glad you're blogging!

    I didn't drink at all for 24 years (think ex with a problem) but in the last couple of years have added the VERY occasional drink at a celebration. I agree that all things in moderation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I'm glad you don't want to stop blogging! I so enjoy your book reviews.

      I think an occasional drink is perfectly fine and I plan to continue doing so. I know I'll savor those wonderful sips when I do since I'm not absentmindedly drinking 16 oz at a time.

      Delete
  8. Your monthly wrap-up posts are so much fun to read! I haven't read any of your books, but there are a couple I'd like to try. I also want to watch Lessons in Chemistry... we've hardly had the tv on this year! Congratulations on 18 years of blogging!! I'll turn 16 this year and miss many of my old blogging friends, too. Things have changed, but I'm glad you're sticking around. Happy March!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw. Thank you, JoAnn. I have fun putting these wrap-ups together each month. I still can't believe I've been blogging for almost 2 decades!

      Delete
  9. PS - Congratulations on cutting way back on the wine, too. I'm still enjoying that glass (or two) of wine with dinner and know that's more than what's recommended for women these days. Good idea to keep the ritual and substitute the beverage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, it's been surprisingly easy to cut way back on the wine consumption. I still enjoy my glass with my Mah Jong pals, but with all I do to work on my health and exercise, I thought it was time to try to slow down a bit. I do sleep better, which is a bonus.

      Delete
  10. I enjoyed Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow as well as The Giver. Glad you did, too.

    I decided to cut out most of my drinking when a person close to me had problems with it. I have no regrets.

    And happy blogoversary! Wow. Eighteen years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I was a little surprised that I enjoyed Zevin's novel so well. I was concerned about not knowing anything about gaming, but it didn't give me any trouble.

      I have no regrets about cutting out most of my drinking, either. I sleep better, my skin looks healthier, and my jeans are getting looser. Win win!

      Delete
  11. What a beautiful photo! It sounds like you had nice February. So many great books! My daughter's class read The Giver recently and I don't think she would give it such a high rating. For someone who thought the book was "meh," she had a lot to say about it though, which makes it a win, I think. :-) I would really like to read several of the books you read this month. I am so glad you enjoyed your reading!

    Happy blog anniversary! It is hard to believe we've been blogging so long, isn't it? My blogging isn't what it once was, but I do still enjoy it. I do miss my old blogging friends who are no longer blogging.

    I hope you have a great week, Les!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, it's funny how a "meh" book can inspire a lot of conversation. I felt that way when I first read The Road (Cormac McCarthy). It turned out to be a favorite in spite of my initial dislike.

      It's a bit sad that so many of the original book bloggers have stepped away from sharing their views on what they're reading. I recently looked at an older book review of mine and noticed the comments from so many former bloggers. I'm sure if I made a list, there'd be at least two dozen who no longer blog. :( Glad you are still at it! I'm happy to see posts by my friends, even if it's just a couple of times a month. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!