January 10, 2024

Meet Me at the Museum

 

Meet Me at the Museum by Anne Youngson
Fiction - Epistolary
Published in 2018
Finished on January 8, 2024
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

In Denmark, Professor Anders Larsen, an urbane man of facts, has lost his wife and his hopes for the future. On an isolated English farm, Tina Hopgood is trapped in a life she doesn't remember choosing. Both believe their love stories are over. Brought together by a shared fascination with the Tollund Man, subject of Seamus Heaney's famous poem, they begin writing letters to each other. And from their vastly different worlds, they find they have more in common than they could have imagined. As they open up to one another about their lives, an unexpected friendship blooms. But then Tina's letters stop coming, and Anders is thrown into despair. How far are they willing to go to write a new story for themselves?

Several of my friends have read and recommended Anne Youngson's debut novel, Meet Me at the Museum since it first hit the shelves in 2018. I recently read and enjoyed her second novel, The Narrowboat Summer, so I was eager to read this debut with my book group. As with The Narrowboat Summer, I needed to read 50 pages or so before I fell into the story; once there, I didn't want to stop reading. As the book drew to a close, I was not surprised by the turn of events, but they left me feeling unsettled. 

Comparisons have been made between Meet Me at the Museum and Helene Hanff's classic epistolary (and true story) 84, Charing Cross Road. The latter is much shorter, easily read in an evening, and the friendship between Hanff and Frank Doel (the chief buyer for Marks & Co. in London) remains platonic whereas the relationship between Youngson's characters leans more toward an emotional affair.  Tina Hopgood reminds me of the main character in the sappy romantic novel and movie, The Bridges of Madison County, which also examines the life of a unhappy and unfulfilled farmer's wife. And yet, not all women who live and work on farms are dissatisfied. In Riding the White Horse Home, Teresa Jordan's mother lived a fulfilling life as a wife and a mother, but also a "full-fledged business partner in the family corporation." In her memoir, Jordan explains that she believes her "mother found satisfaction in these roles of wife, mother, and business partner, but she had chosen as well, to be something bigger and more complex than any of them: she had chosen to be fully herself. Early on, she had decided not to make sacrifices she couldn't make willingly; from that authentic core, she was able to marry and mother free of martyrdom or guilt." On the other hand, Youngson's main character comes to resent her role on the family farm. Overall, I enjoyed this epistolary work, and look forward to hearing what members in my book group have to say about it. Recommend.

These are some of my favorite epistolaries:

84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man by Fannie Flagg
Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding
The Color Purple by Alice Walker
Address Unknown by Kathrine Kressmann Taylor
Last Days of Summer by Steve Kluger
Love & Saffron by Kim Fay
The Pull of the Moon by Elizabeth Berg
Paris Letters by Janice MacLeod
Letters From Skye by Jessica Brockmole

16 comments:

  1. You list a lot of the good ones. I don't read a lot of epistolary novels but sometimes they work well. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I did enjoy, but had hoped for a 5-star read with this one. Oh, well.

      Delete
  2. This is a book I read during the pandemic. It was a perfect time to read it, I think. I liked it very much. Here's my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/3403698051.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, thanks for the link to your Goodreads' review. I liked it a lot too, but was hoping for a little something more. Perhaps a case of a book being overhyped over the years...

      Delete
  3. I very much enjoyed this book and while i wish the end was a bit more wrapped up, it gave me a chance to imagine how things might work out. Life life I suppose, when things are unsettled and you can take your life in a any direction.
    84, Charing Cross Road has always been a favorite of mine and I liked the movie as well. The Guerney Literary book was also a good read and I like some of your other suggestions here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, I didn't mind the ambiguous ending, but the emotional affair annoyed me.

      Delete
    2. This book got me to check out another book, nonfiction about the bog people. That was pretty good. I wanted to read Narrowboat Summer but there was a scene in the beginning where a dog was ill treated and I just decided to abandon it.

      Delete
    3. Tina, I don't remember the scene about the dog, but I understand your need to stop reading. I wish I could remember enough to tell you it all worked out ok for the dog...

      Delete
  4. I love a good epistolary novel and see several favorites mentioned above. I started The Narrowboat Summer on audio a couple of winters ago, but didn't give it long enough before picking up something else instead. I'll keep your 50 page recommendation in mind with Meet Me at the Museum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, Narrowboat Summer might be better for you in print. I enjoyed it better than this one.

      Delete
  5. I haven't heard of this book, but I enjoy reading epistolary novels. I love it when a book doesn't seem like it's going to work for me and the next thing I know I can't put it down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I enjoyed it, but it's not one that I loved, nor will I read it again. It'll be interesting to hear what the gals in my book group have to say about it this afternoon.

      Delete
  6. I love epistolary fiction too and have read (and loved) 6 books from your list. Most recently Love & Saffron which you had recommended! So yes, this one is definitely on my wish list. So glad to hear you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I'm so glad you enjoyed Love & Saffron as much as I did. This one is worth reading, but not one that I loved.

      Delete
  7. Laurel8:00 PM

    There are several on your list that I loved, too. Love and Saffron is still on my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, you're in for a treat with Love & Saffron! It's on my keeper shelf.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!